Monday, May 18, 2009

Cocoons

While clearing my garden last month a came across a interesting cocoon on a purple cone flower branch. Thinking this would be interesting for the kids I clipped off the branch and Amelia put in in our bug catcher for safe keeping. We watched it for a couple weeks and were so excited to see what kind of beautiful butterfly or moth we discovered. Then while I was cleaning the kitchen I noticed a weird little bug on the counter. I got rid of him and moved on until I noticed a couple more of the same species, I then remembered the cocoon on the counter at looked in the bug catcher to only to find a bunch of baby praying mantis' crawling all over! We had a small hole in one corner which is how several escaped into the kitchen. I've cleaned up several escapee's throughout the few days. :) The rest (about 75 of them) were relocated to my garden.

The bug catcher with our cocoon & some of the praying mantis'.

A close up of them.

Amelia's comment, "Mom, why are you looking at them they are disgusting!" I would have to agree with her. :) Lesson learned, make sure your bug catcher doesn't have holes in it, you never know what you'll get!

No comments:

Post a Comment