Sunday, October 20, 2013

Harvest Time with Mom

We attempted another garden this year, despite the lack of rain/TLC on my part it actually didn't do to bad. We're to a point in life were we can have fun with gardening as a family and enjoy the reward of some homegrown veggies. Here's a few pictures of what we enjoyed with our harvest.


I let the kids pick out a few things to plant and I handle the rest. This year everyone wanted carrots so we planted a couple rows. They ended up picking most of the carrots before they were fully grown. I guess the suspense of seeing how big a carrot you can pull was just to much for them. :)


I always like to plant a row of sweet potatoes. This year I had a mole or something nibble on almost every sweet potato! 


I new item we tried this year was brussel sprouts. My mother-in-law got plants for me from the Amish and they did very well! They were close to three feet tall! 


A close-up of our brussel sprouts. 


We have a couple apple trees which did amazing this year! We had more apples on our yellow delicious tree this year than the past 10 years combined! 


 My little crew of apple pie makers.


We also tried making apple sauce for the first time this year. One batch turned out great the other failed. Canning more applesauce and making cider is on this weekends agenda! If you would like some fresh apple cider or red or yellow delicious apples let me know, no charge, just come help press or pick. :)

2 comments:

  1. I have never seen a brussel sprout plant before - ver interesting. Maybe I should add them to my garden next year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hadn't either. They take a little work to harvest but were very easy to grow. One tip I would suggest is to soak them several days in water in the fridge so they aren't so bitter if you pick them early in the fall. I still have three plants in the garden so we'll see if the cold has naturally "sweetened" them up. :)

    ReplyDelete