Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Charleston, SC Trip - Touristy Stuff

In addition to some great ag tours we had plenty of time to visit some of the local tourist spots. Charleston has tons of history as well as great spots for outdoor fun!


We landed in Charleston about noon and headed to the hotel.


First item of business, EATING! Normally I'm not much for seafood, except when on the coast where its fresh and they know how to make it! Mark is trying a raw oyster for the first time. I was brave and tried one too. They didn't taste as bad as I thought, but I don't like the slimy, chewiness they have, so I don't recommend them. :)  We also had grits, for breakfast, lunch and dinner, I bought a grits mix at the market and made it for the kids when we got back. It wasn't a hit. :) 


Our kids would love to have this fountain in Osky!


Our hotel was right by Charlestons famous outdoor market. They had lots of vendors selling all sorts of things from clothes to food and tons of handmade crafts. 


Our first night there was the night of the super moon. I found a place doing a evening/moonlight kayak tour so we signed up. It was the first time we had been kayaking and I loved it! 


My view from the front of the kayak.


A ship wreck we checked out. We also saw dolphins but my pictures weren't very good.


We took this ferry ride to Fort Sumter. 


Fort Sumter is were the opening shots of the Civil War were fired on April 12, 1861. 


This is Fort Sumter today. It bears only a superficial resemblance to it's original appearance. The once multi-tiered structure was pretty much destroyed during the Civil War. 


Mark and I in front of one of the canons at Fort Sumpter.


We have speed "Bumps", Charleston had speed "Humps". 


Hyman's Seafood Co. was a popular restaurant we ate at. 


Mark another thing of the bucket list for me, I made it to the Atlantic Ocean!


I love the Atlantic, it's warm and not full of seaweed like the Pacific.


A view of the pier we hung out on.


Charleston has many beautiful churches. No building can be taller than the highest church steeple.


Many have very old cemeteries outside.


We also visited the slave museum. It was interesting, with lots of reading. The museum was located in a building where they auctioned off slaves. 


Another thing I liked about Charleston was the architecture. I personally wouldn't want to live this close to my neighbor but I'm glad some people like it. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment