Saturday, July 16, 2011

Vacation 2011 - Johnsons Shut-In's

Sunday night after we had all settled in our cabins we headed over to check out the shut-ins. I forgot my camera in the truck and was to lazy to make the long walk back, but we ended up going back the next morning were I got these pictures.

The shut-ins are these rock formations with water flowing through them. I took this picture from a high observation site, you can see all the swimmers scattered though out the rocks.

The pool of water on the top of this picture was a great spot with shallow water that we spent much of our time the first evening.

This was were we went the next morning, a lot deeper. We all swam across this pool to another pool which I was told was 20+ feet deep. The second area also had high cliffs (40 feet high) on one side which Mark jumped off. I wish I had pictures from the cliffs but I couldn't swim with a kid and a camera.

The rocks actually look pretty dangerous, but other than being slick in several places I didn't think they were to bad. The kids were required to wear life jackets most of the time and seemed to like playing in the larger pools of water rather than exploring the rocks, which made it easier to watch them. I felt like I was counting counting 1,2,3,4 (my 4 kids) constantly though!

We found that Anton hates water! He was by far the most stressful kid ever, bawling a lot! He never really warmed up to the idea of playing in the water, but due to the extreme heat we made him get wet to stay cool and then would take turns holding him on a rock or in very shallow water. Poor kid seemed out of sorts most of the trip. Thankfully he has been a happy camper since we got home!

Is it poisonous?
2-3 water snakes were found along the way. I asked a guy at the visitor center what kind of snakes we most likely ran into and he said the common water snake which isn't poisonous.

No comments:

Post a Comment